The next Newport City Council meeting will be on Wednesday, March 8, 2023 at 6:30 pm in the Council Chambers on the 2nd floor of City Hall.
Members from Involve Newport’s GUTS initiative will be present and available to help attendees navigate, stay informed, and engage with City Council happenings before, during, and after each meeting.
Any individual wanting to address the Council on a subject that is not on the agenda can sign in to speak for 3 minutes in the Citizens Forum with the City Clerk prior to the start of the meeting.
Here are some items we felt worthy of highlighting:
- Boards and Commissions 2022 Annual Reports for the Affirmative Action Commission; Henderson Home Commission; Trust and Investment Commission; and Board of Tax Appeals
- Receipt of a letter on behalf of the owners of Long Wharf Mall to convert a portion of the pedestrian mall into a one-way vehicular travel lane from Washington Square to America’s Cup Avenue.
Ordinances – To Be Voted Upon by Council:
- Zoning Ordinance – Amending 17.112.030 “Zoning board of review-Composition” regarding Zoning board members and 17.112.040 “Zoning board of review-Powers and duties” to include information on petitions filed prior to and after January 1, 2023. This is the 2nd reading for the amendments.
- Sidewalk Cafes – Amending Chapter 5.98-TBD to include a new section on Street Cafes that would detail street cafés will only be permitted from the intersections of Gould to Farewell Street on Broadway to follow the standards set forth in this chapter and would require a permit. This is the 1st reading for this amendment and is being carried over from the February 22, 2023 meeting.
- Planning Board – Amending Chapter 2.68.020 Composition-Officers-Compensation-Meetings that would add a statement that petitions filed after January 1, 2023 would require a vote for approval by the majority of the members that are present at the time for application requests on land and subdivision development. This is the 2nd reading for this amendment.
Communications from the City Manager – For Receipt / Discussion
- Recommendation from the Finance Department to Council to pass a resolution on the FY2024-2028 Capital Improvement Program to adopt it in concept.
- Recommendation from the Department of Public Services to award the Hillside Avenue Sidewalk and Traffic Calming Improvements Project to LAL Construction Co., Inc.
- Show Cause Hearing of Harvest Inc for failure in meeting the conditions of the Victualing License.