The next Newport City Council meeting will be on Wednesday, April 26, 2023 at 6:30 pm in the Council Chambers on the 2nd floor of City Hall.
Members from Involve Newport’s GUTS initiative will be present and available at the workshop and Council meeting to help attendees navigate, stay informed, and engage with City Council happenings before, during, and after each meeting. Please feel free to contact Stephanie Smyth to connect with a GUTS member prior to the meeting at email@example.com.
Any individual wanting to address the Council on a subject that is not on the agenda can sign in to speak for 3 minutes in the Citizens Forum with the City Clerk prior to the start of the meeting.
Here are some items we felt worthy of highlighting:
Resolutions – To Be Voted Upon by Council:
- Request City Council support for House Bill H 5712, however, the resolution does not specify what the House Bill is. Per the RILegislature.gov site, House Bill H 5712 – Relating to Taxation – Levy and Assessment of Local Taxes is amended in 4(j) to specify that any city or town may adopt a tax classification plan that may include non-owner occupied residential properties that are being used as short-term rentals for tourists or transit.
- Amendment to R.I. General Assembly to amend §44-5-76.1 of the General Laws entitled “Newport – Property tax classification – List of ratable property” to include non-owner occupied residential properties used as short-term rentals for tourist or transient use is included in the Class Three subsection that will enable them to be applicable to taxes assessed on or after December 31, 2023. Please note that there is no City Councilor(s) listed to sponsor this resolution.
Ordinances – To Be Voted Upon by Council:
- Noise Abatement – Amending 8.12.010 to specify “public health and welfare” in Section A and “quality of life” in Section C. This is the 2nd reading for this amendment.
- Motorized Vehicles – Amending 8.12.130 to delete Section B that includes the noise limit in relation to legal speed limit details and will incorporate that any vehicle accelerating or decelerating exceeding 86 db(A) will be in violation and subject to a fine.
Communications from the Superintendent of Newport Schools – For Receipt/Discussion:
- Request regarding required electrical services at Rogers High School and permission to place an electrical pole on City land.
Communications from the City Manager – For Receipt / Discussion:
- Proposal Award # 23-030 – Strategic Planning and Goal Setting Facilitation
- Memorandum of Understanding – Newport Spring Project
- License Agreement – Conanicut Marine Services – Use of Perrotti Park Dock
- Harbor Ordinance Revision-Renewal Schedule, Fee Increase and Date to Vacate
- Ordinance Revision – 10.24.010. Parking Prohibited at all times. Yznaga Avenue. South Side, Beginning at Bellevue Avenue Extending Easterly 320 Feet
- Supplemental Agreement Contract #22-018 – Janitorial Services
- Award of Contract – Pavement Management System Professional Services
- Supplemental Agreement #6 – RFP#19-007/18- CLG-3 – Newport City Hall Condition Assessment / Easton’s Beach Assessment
- Rhode Island Resource Recovery Corporation – Solid Waste and Recycling Services Agreement
- Amendment No. 4 – Engineering Services for Wellington Avenue Tide Gates
- Contract Award # 23-032 – Engineering Services for Newport Water Infrastructure Replacement Plan Update